When we talk about pipes, what is the first thing that comes to your mind? Of course, the first thing is about the physical shape of the pipe, which is usually long in size and it is made from iron and other materials.
But, when it comes to pipelines, what are the things that come to your mind? Is it about its larger size? Or about its wider use in various industries?
Here are some differences between piping and pipeline that you need to know.
- Length of single piping is short (equipment to equipment).
- Normally connected with various equipment and carry fluids inside a complex network that will be processes in that equipment.
- Mostly aboveground.
- Normally smaller pipe size and more fittings are are used.
- Various pipe materials are used. For example; ASTM, DIM, BS, etc.
- Various operating temperatures (larger range).
- Hydrotest pressure normally 1.5 x DP. Holding time usually 30 min – 1 hour.
- In general, large diameter bends are not used.
- Consider only seismic and wind profile during piping system design.
- use nitrogen or steam for cleaning. Inspect using on-stream method.
- Travels a long distance (across villages or countries).
- Delivers the processed fluid or end product and they normally run straight. Number of equipment connections in the pipeline is very less as compared to piping.
- Travel aboveground, underground or sub-sea with the maximum part being buried.
- Usually larger pipe size and less fittings found.
- Mostly API 5L line pipe is used.
- Less variety in operating temperatures.
- Hydrotest pressure normally maximum 1.25 x DP. Holding time usually up to 24 hours (minimum 2 hours).
- Uses large diameter bends for routing.
- Uses various survey methods such as Topographical survey, Soil-resistivity survey, Hydrological Survey during pipeline design.
- Long pipeline are cleaned or inspected used intelligent pigging.
If you are interested to learn more about the difference between piping and pipeline, this video might help you. You can watch it HERE.
Have you subscribed to our official Telegram channel? If not, please click HERE.
We will be hosting a special #PIPING webinar next month. You will definitely get more knowledge about #PIPING and things related to it. So, make sure you always get the latest information from us if you intend to join this special webinar.
Credit to: Tuan Muhammad Hafizul Aziz.